Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, August 26, 2011

the hospital stay

here will be my last post on the birthing experience of baby evan.

after the surgery, i felt really bad. i felt like i was going to pass out and/or puke at any moment. i didn't want to hold evan for fear of dropping him. so when they finally wheeled me back to the room, i just made matt come stand by me for a while so i could look at the little bit of perfection we brought into the world. finally, after about an hour, i felt up to holding him.



clearly i was not feeling my best. i went into the hospital having my swelling down a little and then i came out of surgery more swollen than ever. not to mention the morphine they gave me post-op made me incredibly itchy, especially my face, so i scratched all of my makeup off. 

katie and grammye were our first visitors. they came as soon as they could. grammye had been the one taking care of me for the 2 weeks prior to the birth, so she was definitely ready to see the boy. katie had been DYING for him to be born, she was SO excited for us to finally have a baby in the family. they loved him instantly, of course.

 her 8th great-grandchild

ak and her baby with the bear she bought him- cola

the rest of the day we took a nap and just enjoyed out little boy. i regained feeling in the lower half of my body and then they made me go to the bathroom. this was the weirdest experience. it took me 40minutes to pee! the spinal doesn't wear off on your insides for 24hours so my bladder was numb. it was literally like i had forgotten how to pee. it finally got better the next day. grammye came back with poppie and brought matt dinner, the only thing i got to eat that entire day was 2 graham crackers and 2 things of jello.


the first night was the hardest time of the whole hospital stay. the spinal had practically worn off completely and i was in a lot of pain. it's the only time i cried. luckily, matt was so incredibly awesome to me. he helped in any way i asked. the nurses were great too, and the meds helped a lot.

the next day we had more visitors. first kaitlin came.


then my parents finally arrived! they couldn't leave until my dad got off work on thursday and it's a 12 hour drive from nyc. this is the first grandchild for them (and for matts parents) and they were so excited through the whole pregnancy. so they finally got to meet the mister!


then while my parents were there, the nurse came to tell us he had jaundice. this didn't come as a surprise to me since i had jaundice as a baby and i actually have a liver syndrome which is adult jaundice. so they brought him a glow worm blanket. he looked so cute in it!



the next day, saturday, he had another visitor, georgianna! but his jaundice had gotten worse so he was now in a glow worm suit. but when i changed his diaper she got to hold him.



then, his jaundice got worse again so he had to go into the glowing bed. my parents, grandparents, and sister all came back to see him too. since he was not going to the bathroom and his jaundice was getting worse, they had to supplement with formula so katie got to feed him a little bottle.




the next day, sunday, was going home day! i really did enjoy my stay at the hospital. everyone was so nice and i got treated so well. katie and my dad came by the hospital again since they both had to leave to go home. everyone was just so happy that he got come home with us because they were warning us that he might not be able to if his jaundice was not getting better. thankfully, after prayers and a blessing, he got better and after the nurse heard the 2 clicks of the car seat, we brought our baby home!




No comments:

Post a Comment